Golf Thread

yeah, adizero are shockingly light, but adidas CrossFlex destroy them in all categories (looks, support, comfort). I guess they’re heavier, but when people pick up one of my Crossflex shoes they can’t believe how light they are. I have 3 pairs now…I’m addicted. Still want the dark grey with red trim.

I am playing again. Starting from scratch. Well…not scratch. Opposite of that lol. My scores are coming down slowly, but it’s painful. Swing has changed dramatically Don’t trust it yet.

What kind of irons are you guys playing? I picked these up last year. They’re a mix between full blades and cavity-backed. About 7 rounds with them so far, and I’m really getting comfortable with them.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g368/kobe11mvp/image-8.jpg

haha I don’t even know what I use. Someone asked me that the other day. I answered ‘Callaway something’

They’re X22 Tour I believe…but I’m seriously guessing

Taylor Made R425 with Diamana Blueboard 65S
Sonartec 13 degree 3 wood with Aldila NV75S
Sonartec 19 degree 5 wood with Aldila NV75S
Callaway X22 Tour 4-PW
Vokey 52
Vokey 56
Vokey 62
Odyssey Rossie WhiteHotXD

carry yardages for some of my irons

5 205 yds
8 170 yds
PW 145 yds
56 115 yds

My clubs are a little longer than standard thus they go a bit further. My irons are I should say. My woods are very standard length (driver is 45.5" I think which is a bit short.

Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound grips on everything. Blue on irons and woods, red on my 3 Vokeys (so I can see them in the grass easily…and not accidentally leave them behind)

Damn, Sak. You’re like Phil with all those wedges lol.

Well I play with two relics. First is my Tour Edge 5-wood from my first golf set when I was 14. To this day, it’s my go-to club off the tee. I hit a consistent draw with it about 235. Awesome.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g368/kobe11mvp/image-9.jpg

Second relic is my Dad’s old Tom Watson 60 degree “sand wedge,” which I use as both a lob wedge and a sand wedge. So comfortable with it. Must be 30 years old by now.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g368/kobe11mvp/image-10.jpg

Other than that, I’m sporting the Taylor Made R7 driver and a Scotty Cameron putter (which is so awesome)

Haha lots of old school in your bag too!

Many guys on tour have very weird old 3 woods. Well up until a few years ago anyway.

Lots of guys still use titleist PT three woods from the 90s.

With wedges I get new ones every 2 seasons. I feel dumb for not stocking up on the spin milled vokeys in 2011. I just had an extra set which I am using now but the 56 is pretty burned out.

As for having lots of wedges, hitting it reasonably far with irons means I have a huge range from 145 down where my pw edge runs out where I hit the majority of my approach shots. Gap wedge goes 130, 56 goes 115, 60 goes 100. The 62 only goes 90 bit I smoothe under it a lot. It’s a club I won in a tournament and had in the basement and when my 60 wore down I put a new grip on the 62 and put it in play. I am going to get it bent stronger to 60 because 56-62 is an annoyingly large gap. I do like the 62 around the greens though.

Ya the variety of wedges makes sense when you hit irons that far. That way you don’t have to choke down on a 9-iron and/or shorten your swing - both of which are probably not great for consistent distance control. My full PW goes about 145-150, and I have a 52 degree vokey wedge that’s good for 115. My lob wedge can probably go 85-90. So I could probably stand to add another wedge to my bag, especially since I’m currently using only 13 clubs.

Mizuno MP60 irons
07 tm burner (easy to hit fairways)
Cleveland reg 588 wedges
Titleist 980 fw metals

@Clochner - you should def add another club to the bag. I know I need all the help I can get :smiley:

^^ I really need to get on that. It’s not like I play competitively or anything (hell, I only get out a few times a month). But like you say, it would be nice to have some extra help out there.

I wish I could ditch some clubs. A guy at my friend’s club plays off a +2 and he ony carries 7 clubs in a little sling bag that looks like a quiver of arrows. He actually won the Ontario Mid-Amateur a few years back.

Missed green and then four putts equals a triple and the end of me having to see Sneds and his ugly fucking pants on the telly anymore.

LOL! Not a Snedeker fan?

he’s alright. I don’t like watching his swing or putting stroke. Looks really jerky and 50s to me, and makes me feel like I’m getting worse.

Just read this new column on Gofl Digest. It’s fucking funny.

Tim Herron a.k.a. Lumpy, answering reader questions

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DEAR LUMPY: I have no issue getting a full shoulder turn and my hands back behind me, which of course helps with consistent distance. However, I struggle to correctly and totally transfer my weight behind the ball. I tend to lean into the ball a bit, not badly, but enough to put more strain on the lower back and lose some distance. As I can’t look in the mirror on the course what feeling or other method do you suggest to cure it? —Thank you, Ben

DEAR BEN: I’ve read your question several times, both sober, and after a few, and can’t quite get a grasp of what your asking. Please email a video of your swing to: Lumpy@GolfDigest.com. In the meantime, my advice is to stop thinking so much.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DEAR LUMPY: I’m 14 years old, 5’9", 155 lbs., and carry a seven handicap. My dad says if I get my grades up to at least a B+ next school year, I can get any set of irons I choose. What do you suggest?—Kevin

DEAR KEVIN: Load up on industrial arts courses, and stay away from advanced math.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2013-07/dear-lumpy-tim-herron-column08#ixzz2ZW3fHayI

Favorite and/or most notable course everyone’s played?

Living out here on the left coast I had the chance to play pebble a couple times. Pretty cool. Played it a week or so prior to the pro am and it was in pristine condition.

Lumpy!! That’s hilarious! I actually thought you made that name up (Mickelboobs style) before reading that column. But to see that’s he’s accepted that name on Golf Digest - that’s awesome. And it looks like the guy has a great sense of humor. I remember watching him in-person a few times at the Western Open (back when that tournament still existed). Seriously, though, he just looks like a heart attack waiting to happen . . .

My favorite would be Chambers Bay. It’s a links-style course set right along Puget Sound. Very picturesque, but also very brutal. I think I shot close to 100 when playing it back in 2008. I can only imagine how difficult the U.S. Open setup will be there in 2015 . . .

Also, I was at Pebble a few years ago but the course was booked. Had to settle for the Links at Spanish Bay instead - definitely not worth the $300. Was not impressed.

Really? I like Spanish Bay. Greens are bit wonky, but I think its a nice mix with plenty of the same ocean side holes like pebble. I don’t pay that much being a norcal ga member. We get blocks of discounted rates each year. For what I’ve paid to play both, Spanish was a better deal. We had guaranteed times at pebble without the typical required lodging but I think we still paid $300 (still worth the experience for sure). Shot a 92. Spanish was $150. Harding Park in Frisco is a pretty interesting “public” muni course.

Played the tpc Scottsdale stadium course as well. That was a brutal round for me, 112. OUCH!

Pasatiempo outside of Santa Barbara was pretty sweet, too. My regular golf buddies made a trip up to Bandon dunes in Oregon. Said it was amazing. Couldn’t go, sadly.

Leader board

Westwood
Woods
Mahan

Yeah… Foley doesn’t know what he’s doing.

That’s pretty amazing. I didn’t realize that Westwood recently hired Foley. So what is the etiquette for a coach in these situations? Assuming he’s there, does Foley make his rounds in the morning to all three on the practice range?

I think Westwood comes out on top tomorrow.

foley will spend time with whoever wants him to. Sunday before a major I think you just sit back and let the horses run. If he works with any of them it will be this evening (will have been I guess)

I find clubs I like and don’t change much. Typically change drivers every ~4 years, irons I go until I feel they’re not working anymore ~6+ years. Wedges every 2 years or so. Putter almost never (going on ~12years).

TM R1 Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex
Ben Hogan Hybrid 19 deg (cut down a bit)
Muzino MP 62 X100SL +1" long (3-PW)
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks M Grind 52 X100SL +1"
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks M Grind 56;60 DG Spinnger +0.75"
Bettinardi BB18 (Back when they were actually Bettinardi haha)

Be glad you didn’t, with the new balls the old square grooves just shred the covers off balls and zip them off greens ( if you’re playing a softer green like bent at least). I had a couple pairs around and have just given them away and gone with a matching set of vokey M grind SM4 wedges for uniform reaction.

Golf Club of San Fransico would be pretty high on my list as a general course/experience. Pebble is worth doing, but not repeating too often just due to expense imo, but the overall history certainly makes it worth the money once.