So the rebuild begin.

Nice manifolds, who made them? cost?

Anyone have any issues with the SAI plates from JHM? They are sorting it but they were too big. Picture in the dropbox link in the thread.

The engine is back in. Hoping to start the car this coming weekend.

Link to all the pictures below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sovfpg2d2omf991/AAC7nck4TTb4D6AHSS-TkBtua?dl=0

Thatā€™s always exciting! Did you reinforce anything or upgrade sorry if I missed the above?

Sic! That is totally awesome! Canā€™t wait to see some performance results. Only other build like this is V8A6.

Nm, I see most of the details above. Interested to hear this roar. I bet JHM was a big help with this build!

The S6 is running now. Audio clip in the dropbox.

She lives, reminds me of Frankenstein lol. Listening to the clip now, congrats!

Catback Exhaust like delicious, did you decat or do headers while you were in there or just factory? I see the headers now! Man she is beautiful, plans to hit the strip?!

Edit: after listening ->In for some drivebys!

Sent you a pm.

holy crap. Just going through the DropBox pics. What necessitated the complete engine tear down? You mentioned oil leaks in the first post.

oh, and how many miles on the engine? I didnā€™t see that in the thread.

Love the video. The exhaust sounds fantastic.

sir thank you for all the pictures!
i still have a pesky oil leak that is going onto the exhaust somewhere. Already replaced the valve cover gaskets.
This one is small enough that i dont see smoke but i smell it for sure. Put dye in and need to poke around with teh UV light and inspection mirror a bit so hard to really see anything. I am suspecting it may be the rear cam covers.

Is there anyythign critical behind this cover that may fall if i take it off?

I believe there is a cross over tube that attaches to these covers here yes?
Wondering if i pull the intake manifold, will i have enough room to pull these covers and reseal them?

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AACemCIEJI6YPwNim-jq_nIWCcACMurgqiJIqUN94FuJ1g/12/122312110/jpeg/32x32/3/1491595200/0/2/20170205_161453.jpg/EOPipdsEGIkCIAIoAg/E7Ftg4BDGxTGpXJ7pc1c3NOFfPdXfx3Ibkc2sWnWz2M?dl=0&size=1600x1200&size_mode=3

Also how much did those headers run you? Count Vohn never did get back to me on a price for them.

The car just has over 133,000 miles on it.
I have had the valve cover, head gasket, oil pan, and front crankshaft leaking.

Another leak popped up and decided on a tear down with a few upgrades.

I just had the IM off this weekend and recalled another thread where we discussed getting the upper timing covers off. BTW, Iā€™ve sourced my oil leak to the passenger upper timing cover. Same symptoms as you. Smell of burning oil all the time, but no smoke. Anyway, took a look with the IM off as to how accessible the upper timing cover is.

Pic of IM removed.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p394/froggers6/IMG_1981_zpsrj2ayio8.jpg

Pic of area around passenger upper timing cover.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p394/froggers6/IMG_1983_zps6z5tuyu9.jpg

In the pic, the upper open fuel line port is above and kind of aligned with the upper timing cover. You can kind of see the cover to the left and right under the black braided hose in the middle of the pic. Above all that, just below the firewall, is the hard coolant line that is connected to both upper timing covers. You can see a reddish connector just above the hard coolant line. To the right of that, facing downward, is the connector for the coolant temp sensor. The gist of this is that removal of the IM gives you more access to the hard coolant line and a little access to one or two bolts of the timing cover, but I donā€™t see enough room to get the hard coolant line off. Itā€™s literally almost against the firewall. More access can be gained by removing the valve covers and approaching from that side as well, but I still donā€™t think thereā€™s enough room to get tools in there and have enough clearance to pull the hard coolant line off. Iā€™m beginning to think this will definitely require engine out to resolve.

Frogger let us know how it turns out.

I keep trying to post pictures from that drop box link but I cant get any of them to link back to a open link

Thanks for the pics and reply. the s8 has some more room back there, can easily reach my hand down between the rear cover and firewall, so may be doable on mine with the IM off.

I see with my blacklight it appears the rear oil control valves (located at the back of the head just past the valve covers) are leaking down as well. Need to degrease and recheck to be sure.
Do you know if these have a metal crush gasket in between?

THanks.

Wow, those Headers are sick!!! That sound is amazing.

Hi Nordy, sent you a PM let me know best way to connect.